the Glorious Adventure of FAITH

   For many weeks now I have been wrestling with the thoughts in my head, fearful to write them out as these lessons learned might be only for me; but over and over again I have been reminded thru sermons heard, books read and conversations spoken that God's truths are for passing on, for speaking forth in praise to Him and perhaps in the sharing someone else can catch a glimpse of light in the darkest times and courage to take another step forward.


   As I look back on my nearly 20 years of serving the Lord tears flow instantaneously--my life hasn't been storybook perfection. The path God has lead me down went thru deep valleys and steep mountainsides. At times the darkness surrounding me felt like a solid wall that not even the sharpest weapon could penetrate. Looking back the memories are still raw and many things have not been clearly revealed as to God's ultimate design but those moments of His unending love, His unchanging grace, His tender mercies shine so bright and true that thru the tears a smile forms on my face and I count myself blessed. Many people go to great lengths to fill their lives with daring adventure, but I have yet to find a life more terrifying and thrilling then the daily walk with my Lord. The towering, rocky mountains we hike together, the petrifying moments of fear before I take a leap of faith, the pure ecstasy of a truth He reveals in the moment of dark confusion, the sweet, sheltering comfort of peace in the pain...and the list goes on. I might be a stay at home mom caring for my family in my little brick house, but the paths I have travelled and the things I have learned are out of this world! :)

  With that being said, I have begun studying Romans again this fall and oh! to have the faith of Abraham! to stagger not at God's promises! being a (foster) mom has been a source of constant opportunities of sanctification in my life and also the most evident need of trust in His promises and sovereignty. To release my children into the unknown and let Him guide their lives is a moment by moment surrender. But Abraham waited 25 years for God's promise to be fulfilled to him and did not waver in his love and faith thru that time! To have that confidence and trust in the situations in my life seems impossible but yet over the last few months I have been living it out.

  "Staggering not" means never quitting in the trusting.


  I always thought the men and women of the Bible were "super Christians" as they never failed...they never questioned God's plan, they never had their moments of wondering if God really meant what He said, they never felt alone: but I was wrong. Abraham wondered. He questioned. He had his moments of wanting to throw in the towel and give up on that hope God birthed in his heart. But did he? NO! "Staggering not" means never quitting in the trusting. When that doubt enters your mind, remind your soul of God's faithfulness. When you question God's plan, remember His sovereignty. When it seems hopeless, remember that He is able. Faith isn't the lack of doubts, questions, fears, loneliness--it is in those moments that you lift your eyes and say, "God I don't understand, it doesn't seem good, I am in turmoil and the pain is intense, but, God, I WILL NOT QUIT. I will trust! I will hope! I will walk on! I will continue in faith because YOU SAID! 

  Thus says the Lord:
“Heaven is my throne,
    and the earth is my footstool;
what is the house that you would build for me,
    and what is the place of my rest?


All these things my hand has made,
    and so all these things came to be,
declares the Lord.
But this is the one to whom I will look:
    he who is humble and contrite in spirit
    and trembles at my word." Isaiah 66:1-4

  God doesn't need humans who never have emotions.....He gave us those emotions and feelings! He is looking for simple men and women who humbly acknowledge their fears and questions but who do not let them overcome them. God gave us His armor and one weapon is the belt of truth and another is the shield of faith...speak God's truth to those emotions and watch God dispel them! He wants us to CHOOSE to trust Him! That doesn't mean we won't fall under the weight of our emotions but it does mean we stand up and continue to turn our eyes to the Cross and proclaim His truths. 

  "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32

"Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see." Hebrews 11:1




Psalm 139


O Lord, you have examined my heart
    and know everything about me.


You know when I sit down or stand up.
    You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.


You see me when I travel
    and when I rest at home.
    You know everything I do.

You know what I am going to say
    even before I say it, Lord.

You go before me and follow me.
    You place your hand of blessing on my head.


Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too great for me to understand!


 I can never escape from your Spirit!
    I can never get away from your presence!
 If I go up to heaven, you are there;
    if I go down to the grave, you are there.

If I ride the wings of the morning,

    if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
 even there your hand will guide me,
    and your strength will support me.


I could ask the darkness to hide me

    and the light around me to become night—
     but even in darkness I cannot hide from you.
To you the night shines as bright as day.
    Darkness and light are the same to you.


You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body

    and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
    Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
    as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.

You saw me before I was born.
    Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
    before a single day had passed.


How precious are your thoughts about me, O God.

    They cannot be numbered!

I can’t even count them;

    they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
    you are still with me!


O God, if only you would destroy the wicked!

    Get out of my life, you murderers!
 They blaspheme you;
    your enemies misuse your name.
 O Lord, shouldn’t I hate those who hate you?
    Shouldn’t I despise those who oppose you?
 Yes, I hate them with total hatred,
    for your enemies are my enemies.

Search me, O God, and know my heart;

    test me and know my anxious thoughts.

Point out anything in me that offends you,
    and lead me along the path of everlasting life